Schiller Museum Weimar
After its opening, the exhibition “Gulag: Traces and Testimonies 1929–1956” was shown at the Schiller Museum of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar from 19 August to 21 October 2012. It was accompanied by a diverse framework programme entitled “Following the Traces” with more than twenty-five events including lectures, readings, guided tours by the curators, teacher training units and a concert. This programme was carried out jointly by the “Memorial” Society of Moscow, the Buchenwald and Mittelbau-Dora Memorials Foundation, the Imre-Kertész-Kolleg Jena, the Thuringian Landeszentrale für politische Bildung and the Stiftung Ettersberg.
In Weimar the exhibition and framework programme drew more than 7,500 interested visitors.
The strong public and media response testified to the topicality of and interest in the history of the Gulag system and its consequences.
The Schiller Museum
The Schiller Museum, located on the north side of the historic house in which Friedrich Schiller lived, has three large exhibition spaces covering approximately 400 square metres. Built in 1983-88, the modern Schiller Museum was the German Democratic Republic’s only museum dedicated to a literary figure. Though the architecture is modern, with a partially glazed façade, the shape and size of the building make it blend in with its setting in the old town. Nowadays the museum, originally dedicated entirely to Schiller’s life and work, is also used for a great variety of temporary exhibitions. The Schiller Museum forms part of the same complex of buildings as Schiller’s house. For further information on the Schiller Museum and Schiller House see Klassik Stiftung Weimar.